One of the most important things to maintain on your home is the foundation.
If you live in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, it’s very likely that your home is built on a soil with a high percentage of clay. These soils expand and contract significantly during wet and dry periods. Changes in the moisture balance can result in variable amounts of settlement or shifting of the foundation. You can help minimize the potential for movement by maintaining good drainage around the foundation and a good watering program year around. Your foundation needs to be watered 3 to 4 times a week in the summer and 1 to 2 times per week during the winter spells. Using soaker hoses located 15 to 18 inches away from the foundation can do this. Normally, 30 minutes of watering will keep the moisture level consistent except in extremely long dry periods of time.
Monthly Check List
- Change out or clean air filter in HVAC system.
- Vacuum air supply and return air vent to remove dust.
- Check fire extinguishers to ensure they are fully charged.
- Grind ice cubes in food disposal to clean blades. Freshen up with citrus rinds and baking soda.
- Check for cracks and separations in caulking around sinks, bathtubs, showers, toilets, faucets, countertops, backsplashes, ceramic tile walls and floors, and window seals.
- Clean or replace the range or vent-a-hood filters .
- Adjust sprinkler heads for proper coverage
6 Month Checklist
- Check exterior windows, doors, and wood trim caulking.
- Inspect exterior paint surface and touch up as needed.
- Check screws on door locksets and hardware – tighten up.
- Change out smoke alarm batteries.
- Oil all moving parts on the garage door
- Clean out all gutters and downspouts.
- Check interior and exterior water faucets for leaks during operation.
- Inspect and repair as needed all window and door screens.